Dr. Miller provides forensic consultation services to the legal community on all issues relating to alcohol or drug use, addiction, all related behaviors (including gambling, sexual addiction, etc.), drug testing, addiction medicine, psychiatry, as well as the often intertwining legal issues (intoxication, cognitive effects of drugs, wrongful death, murder, child custody, acquaintance rape, product liability, malpractice, prescription medication abuse, etc.)
- Excellence in communicating the interplay between law, brain science, and art of clinical medicine
- Consultation provided for both sides of the bar, and in all civil and criminal matters
- Active clinical practitioner, very broadly experienced
- Board Certification in Addiction Medicine, American Board of Addiction Medicine
- Board Certification in Psychiatry, American Psychiatric Association
- Certification in the Medical Review of Drug Testing, Medical Review Officer Certification Council
- Certification in Buprenorphine, Center for Substance Abuse Treatment/Drug Enforcement Agency
- Fellow, American Psychiatric Association
- Fellow, American Society of Addiction Medicine
- Medical school faculty appointment maintained throughout career
- Licensed to practice medicine
- Clinically active and experienced: detoxification, rehabilitation, dual-diagnosis, correctional, Methadone maintenance, Buprenorphine, chronic pain & addiction, drug testing, psychiatry, impaired providers, gambling addiction, sexual addiction, all areas addiction medicine
- Co-Editor, Journal of Addiction Medicine, the official peer-reviewed medical journal for one of the world's largest addiction medicine societies
- Co-Editor, Principles of Addiction Medicine, 4th Edition; the official textbook for the American Society of Addiction Medicine
- Co-Editor, Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Substance Use Disorders, Department of Veterans Affairs & Department of Defense
- Co-Author, Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Opiate Therapy in Chronic Pain, Department of Veterans Affairs & Department of Defense
- Senior Research Physician/Lieutenant Colonel, Human Performance Wing, the United States Air Force Research Lab
- Ranked in the top 1-2% among all psychiatry resident physicians-in-training in the United States
- Earned honors distinctions in undergraduate and graduate education
- Awarded full academic scholarships in physics, pre-medicine, and medicine
- 15 years clinical experience as an addiction specialty physician providing direct patient care services
- Previously deemed by the courts as an expert witness for the following issues: addiction medicine, psychiatry, drug testing, gambling addiction, cough medicine abuse, and for a variety of drugs of abuse and related issues.
- Chief, Department of Defense Tri-Service Addiction Recovery Center, Washington, DC
- >30 medical publications, peer-reviewed
- Co-Chair, Review Course in Addiction Medicine, American Society of Addiction Medicine
- "Best Practice Award" for clinical service design, delivery; United States Air Force Inspector General, Health Services Inspection
- Director, multiple physician training programs relating to psychiatry and addiction
- Co-Chair, State of the Art Course in Addiction Medicine, American Society of Addiction Medicine
- Repeatedly selected into "America's Top Psychiatrists," Consumers' Research Council of America
- Opinions sought by Dateline NBC News, Pravda, U.S. News & World Report, and other world media
- Experience being deposed and testifying in a variety of court settings
- Multiple "Teacher of the Year" awards at multiple medical schools
- Skilled in communicating complicated issues to the layperson
- Prompt in following up with your firm
Law firms: Please contact Dr. Miller to discuss your case. I will carefully listen to your case information and questions, and assist you in better understanding the issues as they relate to my areas of specialty. I will be frank regarding my observations on your case, and whether or not I feel I am a good fit. Please contact me by email or at 937-245-0711 to discuss your case. I provide initial consultation free of charge.
My curriculum vita is available for download here.
Fee schedule/contract is available after screening your case.
Dr. Miller being interviewed for Dateline NBC News by Edie Magnus
regarding the growing national concern for cough medicine abuse
Shannon C. Miller, M.D., FASAM, FAPA, CMRO
Forensic Addiction and Psychiatric Services, L.L.C.
9891 Montgomery Road, #245, Cincinnati, OH 45242
937-245-0711 (mobile phone)
The information and materials contained on this web site do not constitute medical or legal advice and are presented without any representation or warranty whatsoever, including as to accuracy or completeness. The information submitted through this website is not intended to create, and receipt of them does not establish, a doctor-patient relationship between you and Dr. Miller, Forensic Addiction and Psychiatric Services, or any of its members.
Dr. Miller receives inquiries from the legal community only.